Friday, February 26, 2010

O Come, O Come Emmanuel

O Come, O Come Emmanuel and ransom captive Israel!

~Exodus 15:2 This verse and the story of the Israelites starts this song. They have been lead to the sea and just when it looks like they will die there God steps in and saves them. Now look at the verse...The Lord is my strength and my son; He has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise Him, my father's God, and I will exalt HIm. ~ Notice the word become. Their salvation and ours has become a personal thing. When they were in danger, he protected them.

That mouns in lonely exile here until the Son of God appears.

~Revalation 1:4,8,17,18
v.4 - is, was, is to come
v.8 - Alpha and Omega
v. 17 - First and Last
v.18 - Living One

Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.

Colossians 1:15-17 - He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created; things in Heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. ~He was there before the song. This sets the song up.

Psalms 16:8-9 I have set the Lord always before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, ~This is where we join in the song. The song will play regardless of if we join or not. Emmanuel = God with Us. In good health and in bad, in happy times and in sad, in joyful births and mournful deaths, when our jobs are great or when we lose our jobs, in the good and in the bad...praise God that He is Emmanuel...God with Us.

On that day when we celebrate the 2nd Christmas, I will choose to join in the song again and at that time for all eternity. Praise God that we will be ransomed.

O Come, O Come Emmanuel
and ransom captive Israel.
That mourns in lonely exile here
until the Son of God appears.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
shall come to thee, O Israel!

1 comment:

  1. This was written after a Sunday service at church this past December (2009).

    ReplyDelete